Project Part 1: Planning

 Oh boy, this again.

I hate trying to come up with ideas, as a self described artist most of my time is spent coming up with ideas, usually leading me down a path of writers block and self pity.

However this week I feel like I have kind of a good idea. Maybe not a great one, but an idea that excites me when I think about putting work into it.

Okay, so when I've been on kind of a 60's psychedelic music kick for the past couple of years that have lead me into some pretty weird Facebook groups with a lot of seventy old hippies sharing memes and cool artwork, mostly with bright vibrant artwork and I have to say, it's great stuff. The mere act of tie dieing a shirt has brought so much joy into my life that I think I am just a hippie at this point.

So when I saw that the project this semester was called a "Spaced Out" Project my inner Jerry Garcia said far out man and I started sketching some Ideas for a possible 2D game I would like to make with some psychedelic imagery.

My first thought was maybe an top down RPG, classic Final Fantasy style about a Hippie trying to survive Woodstock but I figure it might be a bit of an over reach to think I could programme an entire RPG in less than 8 weeks. So I kept brainstorming.

It was then that my study playlist skipped ahead to a song called "Crumbling Castle" by my favourite band "King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard" and I had a bit of a eureka moment. This particular song is off an album that the band released into the public domain so that fans could do whatever they liked with the material so I was like, theres a soundtrack and then I thought, hold on! Remember that dinosaur game I was talking about at the start of this semester? What if I combine the overall gameplay of that game and combined it with the stylistic tendencies of King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, creating not only a game that I would love to make, but that King Gizzard fans would love to play.

Thats why I'm making a game called Polygondawanaland: The Video Game.

Album Art for "Chipped Gizzards" by artist JaK and 8-Bit Escapades


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project: Beta

Introduction to me

First Playable